April 13, 2011

If you give a mouse a cookie...

I've been looking for studies about bed-making and productivity. It's just a little theory I have and I can't find one piece of empirical research to back it up, but I think people who make their beds every morning might be more productive.

For me it's about momentum. Something about that made bed gives me a feeling of satisfaction. Of getting at least one thing accomplished, something that won't be undone (as opposed to cleaning the kitchen) within just a few minutes.

It's like giving the mouse a cookie...the glass of milk follows. And so on and so on. That made bed inspires me to put away a load of laundry. Which inspires me to clean my closet which inspires me to drag on my yoga pants which inspires me to get my bike out (no, wait, that's the sun).

But you get the picture.

In my weight loss journey, I'm learning that momentum is everything. And for me that begins with making the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment