January 6, 2011

Becina's Mexican Tacos

I've blogged about them here and here. I try not to make them too often, lest my children get sick of them. Unlikely, but we have to be on guard.

I'd never even eaten one until a year and a half ago when my Hispanic co-workers initiated me. Boy am I glad they did. They won't share all of their secrets, but here's everything I've learned about Mexican Tacos:

Becina's Mexican Tacos

Steak or chicken for grilling
Marinade (see recipe below)
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Fresh garlic, minced
Fresh onion, chopped
Fresh limes
Corn tortillas, fresh

For marinade, mix 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and 1 clove minced garlic. Sprinkle over meat, cover and refrigerate overnight.

To prepare meat, grill over hot coals until desired doneness. Slice thin.

Warm tortillas on hot skillet, just a few seconds each side. Place meat on top of two tortillas, top with cilantro, garlic, onion, juice from limes and salt.

Eat and enjoy.

I like mine with homemade guacamole as pictured above...I'll share my recipe in a later post.

For tomorrow I planned and promised Grandma's English Toffee. Well...I tried the recipe and apparently there's a reason I never remember her making it. So, instead, I will surprise you with my most special and most coveted and favored-by-my-children dessert recipe, Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Bars.

1 comment:

  1. Joanna - we have been making these OFTEN since you sent the recipe. They are my absolute fave!! I will never ever make tacos the other way again. Sometimes I cheat and used packaged fajita chicken (it's gluten free) but always homemade guac.
    I have always thought your were a fabulous cook, by the way.

    ReplyDelete