January 19, 2011

Poppy Seed Chicken

I got this nice Kansas-take on chicken and pasta from Carrie, and I'm guessing it has Mennonite roots.  I've used it long enough I can almost claim it as my own. Michael requested it for his birthday dinner for many years. I've done a lot of experimenting with this one, occasionally substituting a little Ranch dressing for some of the sour cream, or throwing some melted Cheddar into it. Aside from being forgiving, it's also a great plan B dinner because you can keep the ingredients on hand and whip it up in a hurry.

Poppy Seed Chicken

3 cups chicken, cooked and diced
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
3 cups wide egg noodles, cooked and drained

Mix together: 25-30 crushed Ritz crackers and 1 tablespoon poppy seeds. Fold together chicken, soup, sour cream, cooked noodles, and 3/4 of cracker and poppy seed mixture. Put into baking dish and sprinkle remaining crushed crackers on top. Drizzle 3 tablespoons butter over top. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Tomorrow I'll share some freezer favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment