January 26, 2011

Jewel Cookies

This recipe was given to me many years ago by Val, a sweet lady and a wonderful cook. She's old school...her recipe calls for oleo. I have no idea what that is, but I think it means butter. Yummy, wonderful butter. These make a perfect little Valentine's Day cookie, don't you think?

Jewel Cookies

1/2 cup oleo (or butter)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sifted flour
1 egg white (slightly beaten)
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
Jam
Glaze (see below)

Mix oleo, sugar, yolk and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour. Roll into balls. Roll into egg white, then nuts. Press with thumb and bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. While cookies are baking, mix 4 tablespoons powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk for glaze. Remove cookies from oven and press with thumb again, fill with jam and drizzle with glaze.

For the slightly more labor-intensive Valentine's version, roll dough into teeny balls, roll in egg yolk and chopped nuts. Then place very close together on cookie sheet and smush the two ends together to form a heart. Bake, jam and glaze.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter: My newsletter, Comfort Food, begins next week. If you'd like to receive it, simply email me. Each Thursday morning you'll receive a recipe, a Bible verse and a prayer for you and your family. Parenting--single or otherwise--is tough work. I could have never survived the last few years of my life without prayer. That's why I am committing to pray for you and your family, each week, by name when you sign up. Have a happy and peaceful Wednesday and I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment