January 7, 2011

Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Bars

Grandma's English Toffee was a promise that did not deliver. It may have been a user error and I plan to re-try; however, my initial test drive was a flop. I can't tell you the description my daughter had for the end result, but she was right. Nonetheless, I have redeemed myself with this one.

Many years ago, I adapted this recipe from three others to provide something sweet and rich for the people in my home that did not like chocolate. I think it's really good and 3/4 of my kids do too. (The other one says it's growing on her, but then, she likes chocolate.)

This isn't my simplest recipe, in fact, it's kind of a production as far as I'm concerned. It's also insanely fattening, so it's a rare treat. Best served warm with a cup of coffee and maybe some vanilla ice cream.

Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Bars

Bar/Topping:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter, soft
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups oatmeal

Mix brown sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Combine flour, salt and soda and beat into butter mixture. Stir in oatmeal and mix well. Pat 2/3 of this mixture into a greased 9x13 pan, reserving 1/3 for topping.

Caramel filling:
2 tablespoons butter
1-15 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup brown sugar

In a small sauce pan, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar. Stir constantly until mixture begins to boil.

Remove caramel filling from heat and pour over oatmeal mixture. Drop remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel filling, spreading evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown.

Let cool, then cut into (small) squares.
If you live in the Chicago area, I'd love to hear about your favorite grocery store for my upcoming feature: Grocery Store Wars. Leave comments below to cast your vote. (And if you live in Kansas, you can also vote between Big Dillons and Super Wal-Mart...I really want to know!)

And also...my Facebook page is growing with extra material including tips and ideas from busy moms around the country. We'd love to have you join us!

Have a great weekend and see you Monday with Potato Soup in a Bread Bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This recipe came just in time. I am having my Mom and Larry over tonight after a basketball game and Larry can not have any wheat products. Was struggling with what to make that was sweet. It was meant to be!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie-leave the flour out then! It will be more crispy and less bar-like but I think it would still be good.

    Tell them I said hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, do you think I am losing it? As I prepared to make these bars, I then realized the two cups of flour!! BUT, I made them anyway...and even with the flour, Larry ate them. AND...everyone loved them. Not sure if Larry had gut-wrenching pain that followed, but I didn't hear anything! ;) A great recipe I will be making them again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete