February 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom!
Coconut Cream Pie

I haven't always been good at making pies...I threw my first crust in the trash. I hadn't baked it yet, but even as a novice, I knew the gray color and rubbery texture would not bode well for any dessert, especially not pie. I've made plenty since that first fail and with some practice, I've become pretty good at it. So even if you don't think you can, I bet you can make good pie if you really try. Here's a great recipe from the one who taught me everything I know about the subject.

My favorite thing about these recipes is the cute little cards and my mom's handwriting.

Happy Birthday Mom--I love you! Thanks for teaching me to make pie.

Coconut Cream Pie

2 cups milk, scalded
1 cup sugar (scant)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 baked pastry shell (see below)
Meringue

Add milk slowly to mixed sugar, flour and salt. Add beaten egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in firm butter, vanilla and coconut. Pour into shell. Top with meringue; sprinkle with coconut and brown in hot oven for just a minute. Makes 1 9-inch pie.

P.S. I don't really know how to make meringue, so I often use whipped cream. Probably shouldn't put that in the oven.

Crust: (makes 2)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Crisco (this is the original recipe, so I included it, but you should know I always use butter because I am morally opposed to Crisco)
1/4 cup sugar (scant)
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon cold water

Blend all ingredients except water with pastry blender. Add water. Divide into 2 balls. Roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper (lay wax paper opposite directions so a square is formed). Roll dough to edges of square and place in pie plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment