February 9, 2011

Mom Week: White Salad

I have not had this salad for years, but I fondly remember it from my growing up days. Cottage cheese has always kind of made me gag; however, my mom must have learned that I'd eat it if cleverly disguised.

Dream Whip makes me nostalgic, but in keeping with the non-processed theme, I'd like to try this with real whipping cream. Not sure what to do about the marshmallows, though I once clipped out a Martha Stewart recipe for homemade. It sounds like something I might attempt.

If I served this with lettuce and garnished it with a cherry half, my kids would definitely not eat it. But I do love that my mom came from a generation that took time to do things like that, and also use serving dishes.

White Salad

1 pound marshmallows
1/2 cup  milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
1 package Dream Whip

Melt marshmallows in milk over low heat.  Watch and stir often.  Beat cream cheese with cottage cheese.  Add to marshmallow mixture.  Add pineapple.  Prepare Dream Whip and fold in.  Place in 9" x 13" pan.  Chill.  Serve on lettuce and garnish with cherry half.

No comments:

Post a Comment